Monday, January 16, 2006

Home Improvement

So last weekend Helal and I decide to invest a full day in home improvement efforts. We really did need it. The living room was a mess and we'd gotten lots of furniture only to leave it unassembled. The major motivation though was the arrival of the kick-ass home theater system whose powers had yet to be unleashed.

We spent the day hammering and screwing our way through seemingly endless pieces of IKEA furniture, and then later scanning through a pile of cartons, paper and plastic bags that contained stuff we'd packed during our move from temp housing. Stuff that we'd forgotten even existed in the first place. But the results have been really worth the effort.

A few days earlier we'd gotten professional help for wall mounting the plasma TV.

Wall mounting stuff turned out to be quite a tricky job around here mainly because walls are not made of brick and concrete, but rather something called sheet rock, a white-powderish thing.
I found out the hard way when I tried to bolt on a few book shelves in my bedroom. I fixed the shelves using a few screws and then with a proud move patted the shelves saying "Now I got shelves for my books", only for the shelves to fall off the wall as if they were fixed by scotch tape.

Of course after that incident I decided I am not willing to take my chances with mounting the plasma TV.

I will spare you the technicalities of how to mount a TV on such a wall, maybe for a later post. For now I'd rather present you with a few photos of how the results now look like. The living room is still missing more than a few things, but the shots will be focused mainly on the complete part. Here goes:






13 comments:

The Duke of Darkness said...

hey hey
cool stuff man

you Die-cast collection looks right at home. But I can see that you are going to need more space soon::)))))))))))))))))))

Christian said...

Thanx Duke!
I am working hard on growing that collection yes, it's gonna take a while though :)

And indeed I was thinking about ways to display the rest and upcoming ones in my bedroom... I have a couple empty corners but still not sure about how the display will be like :)

Anonymous said...

hey chris
nice pics really nice
I just want to ask you one question not about this post though it's about ms interviews :p
what kind of puzzles do the interviewers ask
can you type some of what you were asked
thanks you

The Duke of Darkness said...

Man,
you gotta check this out: http://www.autoartmodels.com/main.html

Expensive, but really impressive

Christian said...

Mr anonymous, thanks for stopping by. I already did post some of the experience previously, you can check Part 1 here
and Part 2 here
The short answer is that we don't usually use puzzles in interviews anymore :)

Duke! Beautiful yes, I'd seen a few AutoArt models online and at a distance, never seen one upclose though. They usually cost double what you'd expect to pay for a maisto or a hotwheels model. I am not particularly fond of either (maisto/hotwheels) but do you own/have you seen any AutoArt/Kyosho models? Kyosho prices are in the same ballpark and I wanted to know if they are worth the money. And which one is better :)

Mohamed Moshrif said...

See this:

http://www.turbonator.com/index.html?id=overtureTiburon

Christian said...

@Meshref, saw, and? :)

@Marilyn, yeah it's almost all IKEA indeed. What's a couple starving MS employees just starting up to get? :)
And indeed it's the lighting that makes all the difference. I took countless photos with different lighting to try and choose the best setting.
And don't worry about the TV. After how the guy mounted it I'm doubtful it can go anywhere, the thing has has got more than a dozen screws on it :)

Mohamed Moshrif said...

I mean it looks great, that's it :D

Christian said...

hehe, a supercharger for $60? Nah, I don't think so :)

Mohamed Moshrif said...

This is not a super charger, this is a small version from Turbo Charger, it contains 30 days money return guarantee, that's all :)

Read about it's idea and you'll know that it's not the complex technology that cost 10000 $, but it still worth :)

Christian said...

Oh well... they had the phrase "Supercharge your car in just a few minutes" in my face on the front page.

And the reasons I am not really enthusiastic are
1. I'm perfectly happy with my 21mpg average that I'm getting out of the car right now :)
2. I really don't need another 35 bhp, I hardly use the existing 225 going down the motorway at 40mph :(
3. Chances are if there is such an efficient and cheap technology that would do wonders to the inline six aluminum/magnesium Valvetronic valve and VANOS valve timing engine that lies under the bonnet, they would've probably included it already :)

Just my $0.02 :)

Mohamed Moshrif said...

Who knows?
They may have already put it ;)

Anonymous said...

v0od0o... very very very nice setup there, looks awesome!
andy