Monday, September 25, 2006

Anniversary we ramadan kareem

A couple days ago (Saturday the 23rd to be exact) marked 1 year since I set foot on US soil. I had thought about synchronizing the post with the day and time but couldn't really be bothered.

Ironically (or maybe just weirdly) enough, I had to go to the airport on the exact same day, only a couple hours later than I'd landed, to pick up a friend who's starting with Microsoft this October. The traffic was nothing like I've seen before that it took me around an hour to get there. The upside was lots of time for reflecting on a very different and maybe significant year of my life.

-Ramadan Kareem
Once again it's upon us. To all my friends I haven't called, Ramadan Kareem! Kol sana wento tayebeen. To some of my friends I haven't called, Khefo 3al la7ma, you know who you are :)

-Useless tip of the day:
I'm pretty sure most people know this already, but to my surprise I recently found out that some don't so here goes.
If a given calendar day falls on day x of the week, the same day falls on the next day of the week the year after, except when it's a leap year. For example, September 23rd was a Friday in 2005. In 2006 it's a Saturday and it's going to be a Sunday in 2007.

-Uplifter of the day:
It happened to everybody, you remember something that happened in the past and think 'God I was stupid/foolish/naive/an idiot'. If you're in the habit of writing some of your thoughts anything written a year or 2 ago will sound to you like it was written by someone else. A slight hint of remorse would usually follow when this happened to me, if only I was smarter/more knowledgable/more eloquent back then.
Think like me no more, all thanks to a quote I stumbled across
'We shall not grow wiser before we learn that much that we have done was very foolish' F. A. Hayek
There! It's the sign you're growing wiser everytime this happens to you.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

1 year in the US

WE are growing up so fast

Anonymous said...

I was curious who you went to pick up and what team he will be working with?

The reason I ask, is because I am from Egypt and I will be starting in October too.

Thanks

MoonLightShadow said...

Happy first anniversary.

You know, I'm celebration my first anniversary as well, but it's different. 25th of September marks my first working day.

Anonymous said...

Yaah! A year already! Just seems so close the day you came to work to say goodbye and you were talking about the stuff you are packing to take with you :)

Rain said...

Hey Chris, happy anniversary!

I can relate to "how stupid was I to write something like that?" so much. So much that I have a drawer full of things I wrote and try not to look at again.
Can't get myself to throw them out though, they're part of me.. part of who I was and who I've grown to become.. sort of.

I want to add a comment here on your previous post.. Keep blogging, really :)

Christian said...

@Duke, we are. I don't know if that's good or bad but I guess there is not a lot to do about it anyway....

@ali, my friend's name is Rami and he'll be starting with the WinSE team.

@moonlightshadow, thanks a lot. Happy anniversary to you too.

@Walid Ismail, it does seem like just yesterday! I'm quite surprised that you're here on the blog actually, it's an honour :)

@Rain, thanks! It's exactly that, now you can look at them and celebrate how much wiser you've grown :) It's like intellectual photos of you in previous stages of life.

BiteKitty said...

Happy Aniversary !
hope it was a good (im sure it was different) year overall.
3o2bal other years to come

Tiny said...

hey Christo
1- I am not going to say "I can't believe it's a year already" because I do believe it is. Maybe because you are missed here, maybe because of the change you have undergone or maybe because of my year and how busy it's been, but I do feel it's been 12 whole months since you left. I still remember your call telling me about your new job offer, I remember how excited you sounded, and that week before leaving..I think it might have been the climax of emotions of your life so far. You're a go-getter :)

2. I totally agree with Rain about the quote- and about you keeping your blog :@. Tell it to my 10-year-old diary.. and still going strong :D