Thursday, February 15, 2007

Does time really fly?

It's 1 am.
I've had dinner, watched some late night comedy shows, and brushed my teeth in preparation to going to bed.
I looked at the 3 stacked books on the bedside table but I didn't feel like reading any of them. At the bottom there is an economics book that I almost finished but not quite, a stock market book on top of that that I almost finished but not quite, and on the top there is a humurous book about one author's first hand experience with extremists, a book that I almost finished but...you've guessed it.
But I felt like reading something a little light hearted, so I turned to the stacked book shelf, and grabbed a copy of TopGear the magazine that I got a few weeks ago after looking for it all over the US. I learned that Barnes & Noble seems to be the only bookstore that carries European car magazines around here.

It's "Car of the Year" issue, gotta be interesting. But wait a minute, it says 2005 cars of the year. This can't be right. I double checked and it does say 2005. I looked for the tiny date on the top right corner, it said January 2006.
I got this issue 13 months ago, not a few weeks ago.
And this is probably the first time I really realize that it's 2007, that I've been in the US for 17 months now, and that pretty soon in what will seem like a few days I'll be 26 years old.
I have no idea what to make out of all that.
And this is when I grabbed the laptop and started writing this post, mostly because I had a mental hang and thought that writing may unblock it.

I changed a lot in a year and a bit, although I can't be entirely sure since nobody who knew me from "the previous lifetime" has seen me since I came here to attest to that change.
I still, however, can not say that I'm in a substantially different place in my life than I was a year ago. I'm not sure if I was standing still the whole time or running around in small circles.
Do I have to be in a different place (figuratively speaking) every year? Or does running around in circles still count?

I'd decided to take a break for a bit when I came here, I need one after running for 25 minutes so it seemed appropriate after racing life for 25 years. "I'll just take it all in, catch my breath, and then lock on another target and go for it", I thought to myself.
But getting back in the ring after a break is harder than I thought it would be.
And somehow I don't feel that much more refreshed than before I took the break.
And I need a mark before I start shooting.

Does time really fly? Or have I fallen asleep on my break?
It's 1:20 am.

3 comments:

Zeww said...

Walahi ya Chris..
Yes apparently time does fly...
You sort of shocked me when you said you've been in the US 17 months...I still remember the day just before you leave like it was yesterday.. We're growing old.. I'm 26 already!

Well, let's hope the boring times fly as well and 2007 gets to be a great year!

Anonymous said...

yes,i last saw u on ur "previous lifetime" as u call it...but i can tell that u've changed *-)

Anonymous said...

I have to say I'm shocked too :) 17 months already??

I've never been good at setting targets and/or "locking on" to them :D so I won't comment on that. I do hope, though, that you'll be able to get back into the ring soon...if that's what you want.