Sunday, May 22, 2005

Fly in the elevator

First off, about my life in the past week. It's been eventful. Did so many things that I wanted to post about and kept postponing that now it's overwhelming to even think about writing it all. I'll try to post more frequently to prevent this from happening from now on. But to sum it up real quick, attended open air ceremonies celebrating 100 years since the "birth" of Heliopolis, was cool. Played my first estimation game ever (the card game) and loved it. Attended a concert for a group called "Wust El Balad" that is gaining momentum these days in El Sakya and enjoyed it too. Don't wanna talk about work.

And now for this thought I can't get out of my head. It's sort of a general wondering (I get those a lot). If a fly is travelling in an elevator (flying not standing on the floor like we do). Will it have to travel upwards/downwards at the same velocity of the elevator to maintain its position and not hit the ceiling/floor. Or does it just "fly still" and is moved by the air inside the elevator just like we do when standing on the floor? I had this question -among my set of funny trivial unanswered questions that I collect for no reason whatsoever- long ago and it popped back in my head today when I noticed a fly trapped with me in the car with all the windows closed.

Your suggestions are most welcome :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the fly musing :) My vote would have to go with the fly not having to really do anything, for a couple of reasons:

1. I don't remember ever seeing a fly flying upwards or downwards...they sort of cruise all the time I think :) You know what I mean? Ya3ni they never point their noses upwards or downwards as far as I know.

2. If they had to fly upwards/downwards, I'd think one of them would eventuall forget and someone would have seen a fly slam into the elevator floor/ceiling when their elevator moved :D Since a google search for:

fly hits elevator floor or ceiling

doesn't seem to bring up any such results, then I would have to vote for the least effort option :)

Christian said...

hehe yeah, I thought the lack of fly-elevator accident sightings definitely said something.

But you know.. still, it's gotta do something at least when the elevator is not sealed. It must be subject to some air currents or something.

And maybe it's instinctive to the flies that they never even notice they're doing anything.

Anyway, glad you liked it. More to come next then. Thanks for the encouragement :D

Nag said...

hmmmm... only the 2 of you guys could have such a conversation!

Anonymous said...

if someone inside the elevator is smoking, you will find the smoke of his/her cigarette floating inside the elevator, not going up and not going down.
That means the air inside the elevator is being moved with the elevator, thus, i think the fly doesn't do any effort, it's like being in a regular room for it.

that's just my thought, i might be wrong.

Christian said...

That's a brilliant idea actually, I like it.

Perhaps I've never been with a smoker in the elevator and being a non-smoker myself I'd never tried it.

But if the smoke does really move naturally in the elevator and not hit the floor then there is no reason a fly suspended in the air should hit the floor.

So far, all evidence going for the fly doing nothing. Which is cool, I hadn't thought we'd reach a conclusion on this one :D

Nag and Kadrianoz, stop whining about the discussion, we've actually reached a conclusion :Pp

Christian said...

Oh and hopefully next time someone searches for "fly hits elevator floor" in google, it turns up with this page :D

Congratulations everybody, We've actually added something new to the www :D