Monday, April 10, 2006

Autocross

One more new thing for me. I participated in an Autocross! If you're not really sure what an autocross is this link should help.

A couple of people from MS were going and they were asking if we would caravan there together as the track is 70 miles away. It looked really fun and I asked the more experience people about it. At first I thought I'd go and watch first before participating but everyone told me I'd be kicking myself if I go and do not drive the track. It really didn't take much convincing for me to do it so I just went for it.

I went out and got a helmet, and based on many people's advice some blue painters tape to protect my bumpers from accidental "meetings" with cones. Sunday morning I headed to the track. I was really surprised how serious some people can get. Lots of people were running on full slicks and rain tires, some people even came with 2 extra tire sets, race tires and rain tires.

After all the preparation, this is how the car looked like:




I didn't end up turning really great lap times, but it was good enough for a first timer I guess. Worst thing is that I had 3 "fun" runs at the end of the day after my 4 official timed runs and every single one of them was far better than the best of my official ones. The best I managed on official runs was 62 seconds. On the fun runs I ran 60, 59 and 58 second laps!

The video here(divx 6.57MB) is for one of my official laps. It doesn't really look that fast on video but it's a totally different thing inside, on the fast parts you'd be hitting 60mph (100Kmh) doing slaloms. Also a part of the track is not on the video because it's obstructed from view by the timing car.

All in all it was such a great time. I'm definitely gonna be goin back for more. Next event is in May and I'll probably be there.

2 comments:

The Duke of Darkness said...

Maybe one day we can show some seriousness and get a Super Seven for track days

Christian said...

haha, I wish.
Weirdly enough I saw one last week in the parking lot at MS. The guy must have been crazy the thing has no roof whatsoever and it rained that afternoon, I have no idea how he went back home.

I actually took a few photos of it :)
Pic 1 Pic 2 Pic 3