Saturday, August 13, 2005

Live From Prague!

Currently on my way to lithuania, and I have to stay in prague airport for 12 hours in transit. The czech embassy in Cairo insisted that a transit visa should take at least a week and I hadn't had all that time for preparations so I didn't get one and I'm stuck at the airport, which is too bad since everybody is telling me how beautiful prague is :S

So anyway, first impressions about Prague and Prague airport (given the limited exposure I had so far which are 6 hours spent in the airport.
First, the airport is much larger than Cairo's.
In fact I was impressed at first with Cairo Airport, I'd departed via Terminal 1 and even though it was not that fancy, it was definitely as bas as you'd think it is hearing everyone talk about it.
Enter Prague airport and turns out Cairo airport is not that good after all. This is much larger and much cleaner, we still have a long way to go it seems.

The weather here is just wonderful, 18 degrees celsius with just the right amount of breeze and just the right amount of sun, it's brilliant, why don't we get that all year round in Cairo...

One very strange observation is that it seems to me that girls represent a larger percentage of the population. I'm pretty sure I'd seen more girls than boys today, and definitely more working females than working males. I had breakfast in a restaurant that didn't have one man in the staff. The chefs, waitresses, and cashier were all women. Dunno what's that about.

Stuff is not cheap at all, the currency here the Czech koruna is worth quarter an Egyptian pound, but even stuff like t-shirts cost upwards of 1500 koruna, not what you call cheap at all. I dunno if it's an expensive country or is it just that stuff is a lot more expensive at the airport.

The closest place to a prayer area in the airport is labelled "meditation", something that I found interesting.

One more thing, I'd always heard that Egyptian beer is the worst in the world, well you don't need to believe that anymore, because one thing I can tell you for sure is there is at least one worse beer in the world. The czech.

Wanted to posted the photos I took, but the only internet cafe in the airport doesn't allow you to connect anything to the pc so I can't download the picture from my camera :s Never wanted a laptop more....

Anyway, I still have 6 hours to waste here till my flight to lithuania takes off. Wish me luck :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

huh you must be kidding, Czhech bear rules, try a pilsen

Anonymous said...

Yaaaaaaaaaaay , this is sooooo coool !

I am in prague right now , ask Noora and Amira from your company , they'll know me !

ahlan wa sahlan , such a shame you couldnt leave the airport , this place rocks !

Anonymous said...

oh , just wanted to say that I am DEEPLY OFFENDED about what you had to sy about Czech beer , we practically invented it , even the germans love our beer... pls. go retaste , Im buying , or at least chose a lovely gambrinus ! Cheers ! Ps... the warm Egyptian beer must have ruined your taste buds ;-)

Nag said...

i've been told that Prague is actually pretty expensive.....

Enjoy Lithuania, i want a full report ;)

Christian said...

Anonymous 1 is still unidentified, I will ask noora as soon as I go back to work (tomorrow hopefully) :)
I take it that anonymous2 is a czech citizen, I have to apologize, the original beer I tried was a pilsner and it was very very bitter tasting. I took the advice though and tried another one at a different place, I have to say it was better, although not perfect. However, I tried a budweiser in Prague airport on my way back and that was much much better. Definitely good beer. So I apologize for the generalization.

Nag, full report is coming very soon, it's just too much to say and the post will turn out to be humungous I'm sure.

Raghood, it's great to hear we share the experience :) I did enjoy my time at Prague airport too as there was plenty to see, but by the end of the day I had a feeling that I was like Tom Hanks in the terminal. I'd learnt the airport by heart and it felt like home :D