Thursday, May 25, 2006

Of the thin and thick

A previous attempt at multi point blog posts failed miserably. I just babbled on for a few paragraphs and when I'd realized I intended on talking about more stuff it was just too late. So maybe this one will succeed where the other has failed.

-Fear of Death
Why? It's understandable to me that we can be afraid of pain, or living a worse life than we'd anticipated. But why are we afraid of death? It's not like when you're dead you're going to be regretting the fact. Some (religious) people would say it's fear of eternal punishment if they think they might be deemed not good enough for heaven but atheists, too, fear death. So either atheists believe in eternal punishment and reward at some subconscious level or there is something else in play here. Go figure.

-Baseball
I went to my first live baseball game yesterday. In the spirit of doing new stuff (we keda). And now that I narrowly escaped death by boredom I can safely say it's my last.
Well that might not be entirely true, the game is boring to death to watch, and I suspect to play too although I've never tried. But you see, you might still want to go to a baseball game. The logic might not be readily obvious but it's pretty straight forward. Baseball games would be a great idea for dates, or so I am theorizing. The game is ridiculously long (150+ minutes), and it's even more ridiculously boring. That means you get time to talk about stuff with your date and generally fool around. Who wants to go see a good movie when you're both pinned to your seats with your eyes fixed on the screen for 2 hours. Go to a baseball game and it'll bore her as close to death as possible that she would just have to listen to you, and better yet, you'll sound interesting!
However, if you think you're more boring than a baseball game then obviously you shouldn't take my advice. But then again if you are, you really have bigger problems to worry about than a failed date.

-Karaoke
Been meaning to go for a long time, and a friend of mine is now determined on making it happen. Weirdly enough I jumped off a 53 meter high bridge and a 5 Km high plane but I'm still afraid of singing in public (my bathroom is not public even though it might share a thin wall with the public). We'll see how this one goes.

-Free Audio Books
Courtesy of BMW, go to BMW audiobooks and you can download 4 audio books for your listening pleasure. Nothing about cars there don't let the name fool you. They're in mp3 format and free as in beer, no strings attached. They might add some more in the future but these should keep you busy for some time.


So there, I did it! A quad point post! (counting the bullet points not the actual literary point)


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ola..

I think fear of death stems from fearing the unknown...fear of change. Isn't there always, in the back of the most atheist person on Earth, the doubt, however small, that he/she could be wrong?

"What if the soul _is_ eternal? What if I'm wrong? What will happen to me (if I can call it me) after it's all over?"

Anonymous said...

naah,i wouldn't recommend that Karaoke thing based on "what i've heard"(or suffered more likely)u sing in the shower!!
see,now u don't have 2 worry about it because i already told the puplic that u suck :p
So,there u go problem solved:D

BiteKitty said...

lol about baseball, you don't have to bore the girl to death to get her full attention you know. there are better ways afterall :)

Christian said...

you wanna go to a baseball game? :P

BiteKitty said...

i've been to one, thank you very much. lol wasn't really a pleasant experience.

Anonymous said...

Hey there... long time ago (smile). Though off you last week. I went to Egypt and saw your beautifull country (Caïro-Saqqara-Luxor-Aswan et cetera). Can't discribe the impact Egypt had on me but can't hardly wait to go back. Felt home there, you know. When I go back, I will let you know. byebye..Marieke (Netherlands)

Anonymous said...

..Marieke (also Marilyn) from Kareem his space (if you didn't remember me (smile)

Christian said...

Hey Marieke! I do remember you of course, welcome back to my humble virtual space :)
Glad you liked it in Egypt, hope you got a chance to meet Kareem to show you around. Hopefully I will get a chance to visit your country pretty soon too, I have quite a few friends there.

Let me know when you're going next, I might have a few recommendations for you :)

Nag said...

@ Fear of death-
i think to faithful atheists (if i can call them so) fear of death will mean stopping to live.. fa especially if they believe there is nothing afterwards they will think "sheesh!"

@ Baseball-
some people can be more boring :P

@ Karaoke-
in bungee-ing, you can only hurt yourself! ;)

cheers,
N.