Monday, May 15, 2006

Project Melokheya

First off, a note to international readers. Melokheya/Molokheya is an Egyptian national dish, translated it's Jute Mallow. Now that we got this out of the way....

Finally I did it!
Been meaning to cook a nice meal since I came to Uncle Sam's land. I know how to cook but it takes so much effort and time that I kept delaying it, till today.

So I woke up late and was looking for a mood lifter. Now, If you think melokheya is just a good tasting meal you're sadly mistaken. It can also be an excellent mood lifter and cooking a good one will give you a feeling of self accomplishment very few other things can. And just imagine how much Karma you gain when you cook a hearty meal for 4 single guys who are 7000 miles away from home and all they'd eaten in months is frozen meals reheated in the microwave.

So in order to commit to my ambitious project, I called up a few friends and invited them to dinner. We were to be 5 guys. Next was getting the raw materials, not an easy task in Redmond, but I learned of a mediterranean deli and supermarket close by so I made the trip, got myself 2 bags of frozen Melokheya (Montana, made in Egypt no less!) and some Cardamom pod (habahan). I already had rice, garlic and oil and I got 2 young chickens on the way back.

With the raw material ready it was time to start cooking, 4 young men collaborated in the kitchen orchestrated by your truly. We boiled the chicken, Helal single handedly cooked the rice (very well too!), and an hour or so later mission melokheya was accomplished!

It all turned out well and everybody actually liked the food. I felt so proud of it that I came to blog it out :) I even have a few photos to commemorate the day when Redmond got a taste of my melokheya


Probably the first time I hold a raw chicken.


We had to boil 2 chickens to feed the crowds :)


Making "El Ta2leya", didn't forget the "shah2a" shortly afterwards.


And the final product, yes I know our kitchen could use some tidying up.










Apologies for the blurry photos, it wasn't me taking them :P
Happy melokheya day!

4 comments:

Cleopatrina said...

HILAROUS:)

Anonymous said...

Good job, but i wonder what were u doing with the scissors in the last photo?

Anonymous said...

i think the scissors was for cutting elshikara elly ta7t el7od :P for washing the chickens

Christian said...

You read too much into it :)
I told you, my kitchen was a mess at the time.