Thursday, October 19, 2006

Bloggerhea

Recently I've been blogging more than I used to so that's the term I came up with to describe the phenomenon. I have a feeling it'll become popular one day, maybe just with the guys. I know all the girls are saying "ewwww" together right now, no big deal.

The newly coined term swiftly takes me to the topic, which is probably going to provoke more ewwws. It's just I noticed what looked to me like an interesting phenomenon. The naming for bathrooms.

Every few years English speaking people seem to get fed up or disgusted by one name and decide to switch to another. So far we have bathroom, water closet, washroom (mostly Canadian), men's/women's room, loo, toilet, can, and lavatory as words that are pretty much referring to the same thing. I conjecture that this is the one physical object with the largest number of words associated with it in the English language.

It seems to me that the new word gets associated with the concept and disgust ensues, and then people think they can solve that by using a a new word and designating the old one as non-PC (politically correct). Lather, rinse, and repeat.

Seriously, what difference does a word make if we understand we're referring to the same concept?

1 comment:

Tiny said...

Excellent correlation between your blogging status and your topic...imbressive:)

And u seemed to have been maznoo2...err, fel kelmetein ya3ny, u left me talking to myslef on the chat and went blogging! grrrrrr
I am not sure what my sentiments are, being partially responsible for the delivery of this post to the world :S

and not much "eww", all physiological functions ya3ny.

Post 7elw ya C!