Monday, April 11, 2005

Bloggers Here I Come!

Well, I've registered this blog spot a few months ago, but I could never really get myself to post anything. I knew I wanted to, and I knew I'd get rolling after a few posts, and maybe become one of the world famous bloggers ;), but I could never justify some time to get myself to write anything useful even though at times I had lots of ideas for posts. Well that changed today when my friend Nag showed me her blog. Seeing we already had a lot in common I was encouraged to begin writing myself.

Speaking of that incident, when I asked Nag if she's blogging and she said yes, I decided to try "googling" for her blog instead of having her send me the link. It's not the first time I try googling for someone-I-know's name. Strangely enough, google came up with nothing. But I'd read some articles recently saying that google are getting notorious for their crawler being slow updating and that yahoo maybe doing a better job at that. So as a real world test I searched for the same words on yahoo. Bingo! She came up as the first entry. Don't know what could be wrong with google, maybe they're slacking off a little bit these days with all the post-IPO fame? Only time will tell.

Well I intended the first post to be an introduction to who I am, but I think that's already long enough. I think blogiquette (I just made that one up) requires me to stop now and save the rest for later. So there goes, my first blog entry ever. I'm even thinking I could be one of the first few hundreds of thousand of bloggers around the world. Not bad for a world with 6 billion people eh? ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmm...i think i might know something about this google thingie. to rank pages, google depends on a couple of factors including how many other pages reference your page and how important/reliable these pages are...so really for a blog it will not be referenced in so many places and, even if it is, they will probably not be very important/reliable. for example, a google search for "karembu" doesn't even bring up www.karembu.com (yes...woe is me...that's my website) :)

Christian said...

Yeah, I knew about their page rank technology, but I'm still thinking this is something they should sort out. There was also an article I'd read about how to organize your site so that you get higher rank (something about having links to your site's homepage in the "children" pages or something) maybe I'll try finding that for you to nudge karembu.com a little bit up in google's search results.
I still think their crawler is slow tho (like Nag says it)
If there is one thing I could come up from the incident is that we should all be thankful for competition, I'd hate to see the day when there is only 1 search provider that we have to put up with. Competition is good!