Sunday, April 24, 2005

Terry Pratchett's Eric

A very quick update here.

Been gloomy for a couple of days but mood is getting better now. Went on a couple of outings, played bowling, lots of backgammon, not too bad.

Work looks like it'll be getting a lot worse (as in busier, and loads of overtime) in the upcoming few weeks but I'm trying not to worry too much as there's nothing for me to do about it.

So Nag finished her newly acquired novel by Terry Pratchett called Eric and lent it to me (Thanks Nag), it's been so long since I'd read anything non-technical so I was very excited about the prospect of reading literature again.

For the first 20 pages I had no idea what the guy was talking about, but then I got into high gear. I like it a lot, the guy is supposedly talking fiction but he's got a very cool way of reflecting upon the real world with the kind of British sarcasm that I'd always loved so much.

I'm now 55 pages into it, about one third of it so I'm expecting it finish it shortly, which is kind of refreshing after long periods of reading 1000 page books which seem to never end.

A few quotes that grabbed my attention:
  • The gods of the disc have never bothered much about judging the souls of the dead, and so people only go to hell if that's where they believe, in their deepest heart, that they deserve to go. Which they won't do if they don't know about it. This explains why it is important to shoot missionaries on sight.
  • Hell needed horribly bright, self-centered people like Eric. They were much better at being nasty than demons could ever manage.
  • You could fly in dreams. If he woke up, it was a long way to fall.
  • I run, therefore I am; more correctly, I run, therefore with any luck I'll still be.
  • It was true about time measurement as well. The Tezumen had realized long ago that everything was steadily getting worse and, having a terrible literal-mindedness, had developed a complex system to keep track of how much worse each succeeding day was.
See, that last quote perfectly portrays (imo) Terry's way of reflecting upon real world in a fictional manner with a twist of sarcasm that verges on being black comedy. It's intriguing.

I'll be back (soon, hopefully) with sort of part 2 for this much-debated-offline post

No comments: