Monday, July 18, 2005

The Birthday, Duke's Birthday

Last post ended at the events of last Wednesday night.
So Thursday comes and at around 4:30pm I find meyo adding me to her msn contact list and tells me that they've decided to throw a tiny surprise birthday party for the duke at their home and that I'm cordially invited. I'd never been to duke's home before, and they have known me for a relatively very short period of time. So being one of the 5 people invited was really really heart warming. If that's not touching, I don't know what is.

To be brutally honest, I was afraid at first. I sometimes get this fear of social situations (remnants of my old shyness thing). Birthdays are one social situation I'm particularily not good at (although I'm worse at weddings). And the fact that I'd be among such a close-knit group, two of which I'd never met before, certainly did not help much. But I've decided to face my fears, and took faith in how I've enjoyed the company of the duke and her highness the few times we'd been in outings or trips.

And am I glad I did!
It was a very very pleasant experience. I went with Nag, I enter duke's living room, I'm introduced to Heba and Rihab for the first time, and I am taken aback by the sheer coolness of duke's die cast car model collection. So I ignore all rules of etiquette, the fact that I was just introduced to people who do not know me, and the fact that I'm almost 24 years old and I turn the place upside down fiddling with the gorgeous models of the Carrera GT, Ferrari 612 scaglietti, Ferrari F50, Mercedes SL, Lamborghini Murcielago, Lamborghini Gallardo, Jaguar XJ220, Jaguar E-Type, and many others.

Later on, Nag takes the chance (anytime she and I are around people is a chance) to tell everyone a fictional account of my views on the differences between men and women in a manner that is very carefully, yet deliberately, twisted so as to show me as a nasty sexist. I swiftly maneuver myself around the trap as usual and we move on.

We then watch a bit of seinfeld (which everyone but me seemed familiar with), was fun, we also have a discussion about what books one would recommend to show a foreigner a bit of the Egyptian character and culture. Opinions vary widely between tourist guides, and novels like Naguib Mahfouz's or "Emaret Yaakobian" (Jacob's building), among many other suggestions. A very interesting discussions.

So much more happened and you can check Duke's own post for more details and funny incidents, or this picture post for more visual details.

I had so much fun, and to Rihab, Hoobs, Duke, Meyo, Rifa3i, and Nag, Thank you so much. You are a wonderful group of people and hilarious company.

And that my last thursday :)
See you next post.

6 comments:

Lasto-adri *Blue* said...

if i may ask, are u the one "v0od0o" in the cultural workshop forum ?!

Christian said...

I *think* that's me.... Although I'd just registered very recently (through a link on one of the blogs I was surfing randomly I guess) and I haven't made much (read: any) contribution over there.

MoonLightShadow said...

Cultural workshop?!! Are you a Radio Cairo listener Chris?!

Christian said...

Yes ma'am, unless there is something wrong with those who do, in which case the answer is "me? of course not" :)

I used to be a regular, enjoyed Slang, and ok show, maybe called Hala Hashish on "At Your Request" a couple of times, I think she might even remember my name because not many callers are called Christian :)

I haven't listened to it in a long time now though, maybe a year or so....

MoonLightShadow said...

That's a lot in common then :DD

Of course there is nothing wrong with those who do :D being myself one of them :)

I've been a regular listener for about 7 years up till now.. But these days I only listen to OK shows.

Nice coincidence :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.