Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Mid week at MS

Well today was my 3rd day, so no more orientation and I head straight to my office.

Well not really straight, I got lost first, I still get lost in Redmond, in campus, in the parking, and in my own building. They are all huge and everything is brand new to me. I do arrive at the end though.

So anyway, at my desk I found the monitor and natural keyboard, just as I was promised the day before, really impressive. I set up my OS, drivers, and basic stuff so now I got a working computer at work with connectivity and everything. One tiny step forward, still lots more to come.

My manager sent me a link for a page on our sharepoint with documents and help for new hires on our team. And I learnt today that I'm part of the QE team, no not Quality Engineer or anything, the QE team is the Query Execution team. Which is the team working on the part in the SQL Server engine that actually executes the plan produced by the QO team (Query Optimization ;) ), pretty heavy stuff it seems, but also so exciting.
It's amazing to think that I'm gonna be a part of a team that makes a product that is actually used by millions of users around the world, literally millions. Really exhilarating.

Now I have to get up to speed with everything, it's not gonna be easy, but I'm sure it's gonna be fun.

And speaking of fun, Helal and I got ourselves an XBox and a bunch of games today, yeah I know XBox360 is just around the corner, but first we don't have a plan for employees to get it at the company store, second it seems pre-ordering queues are all full, third it's gonna be expensive, so I'll settle for a "normal" XBox for now and get the 360 later. We actually never get discount on the XBox itself as MS is already losing on it so they can't lower the price even more, we do get all games for $10 and $20 though :) So I got my XBox at GameStop and the games and additional controller from MS company store.

Anyway, that's about me today, hopefully soon I'll put my camera to work at campus and capture some photos for you guys.

See ya

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recommend Ninja Gaiden for the XBox.

Work hard and play hard huh? :)

- UKD

Mohamed Moshrif said...

Really it's very amazing, when reading your blog I feel like Iam already there.

Any way, I've one question, why you needed to have 2 monitors :D ?!

BTW: The game we're working on and the engine itself is supporting XBox, so you may program a game for yourself using it and play it :P

Anonymous said...

damn... if you can get staff price on the xbox360 v0od0o... mind buying one and sending it down under? :D

Christian said...

@UKD exactly my point :)

@Mag, hehe I got Halo2 instead for the shooter category :)

@Meshref, I like dual monitor setups, you get more desktop space and I'm used to it. And I've just learned actually that I'm gonna need at least 2 machines for work, it seems everybody at MS has 2 or more machines to work on.

@Andy, nah we don't get disounts on the XBox itself, cuz it's already priced at less than the cost, but we get discounts on peripherals and games, so should you need a controller or a game I'd be more than happy to get you one. I am not allowed to resell it but I'm allowed to send it as a gift :)) provided that you don't resell it, which I'm sure you won't ;)

La Muchacha Maligna said...

Wow, I agree your blog is getting more and more interesting every day...Good work Chris, keep it up.

Anonymous said...

Thx for the offer v0od0o... I'm actually thinking about getting a xbox360 when it releases early next year here... so if they have any cool accesories you can get cheap, let me know :D

Anonymous said...

WOW, Really interesting blog chris, i am impressed:). you seem you have alot of work there, keep the spirit UP,wish you luck

Mohamed Moshrif said...

You can see how MS looks like, I got some photos and placed them here:

http://www.programmingplanet.net/ms/