Sunday, October 02, 2005

Welcome, the Redmond way

Well, at last Redmond showed me what it's like to live in the north west region. 2 days of rain ending literally thunderously :) I'd seen rain like I'd never seen before, only problem is that none of my friends here enjoy it and so none would join me for a walk (maybe singing) in the rain :(

All that actually reminded me to write about anything other than the fancy cars, my car shopping and the test drives, I'm sure I'd posted more than enough dose for everyone but the hardcore gearheads like me :)

My first impressions about Redmond is that it seems like the perfect place to live, quiet and beautiful enough, while also close enough to Seattle the city so that you can get your dose of noise and crowds whenever you want. It's the perfect blend.

Of course, I won't talk about the cleanliness and respect for law. But driving is a totally different business than what we do in Egypt. You just need to get used to the signs, but I now finally realize how you can accurately estimate time for a trip here. Driving around is not the voodoo art that it is in Egypt. Everything is very systematic, and predictable. You see a green light, just keep going, a red light just stop. Going right, there's a lane for you. It's just indescribable, traffic runs like a well oiled machine. I'd never seen an accident so far, I don't know how my car horn sounds like, and I would't even tell if my high beam lights are broken. You just don't need that stuff around here.

I am actually already feeling that I'm getting used to the system and organization here, I feel like I'm losing my skills in Egyptian driving :(

I'm still busy with apartment hunting and car shopping, but I also get to go out a lot, have dinner or lunch in different places, actually I'd just came back from the movies here. Saw Nicolas Cage's "Lord of War", very very good movie, dunno if it's out in Egypt or if it's gonna be but if it does you have to see it.

It's around 2:20 am now so I guess I'll have to go get some sleep, this is my first time to sleep so late since I came here. The city sleeps at around 9 or 10 pm max. That's one thing that's already changed about me. I both sleep and wake up early. I've never woke up any later than 9 am for the last week and most times I do at 7 am.

Anyway, I was trying to end the post, so here it goes.
Ta ta for now :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Basha,

3amel eih ya 3am? was7hna keteeer. sorry to hear about the car loan thing.

Good Luck

The Duke of Darkness said...

An Mid-aged American Man got off New York airport and waved for a Taxi. A nice Yellow Crown Victoria stopped by. The Guy gave the taxi driver and they left off...

The American Guy sensing that they are going far faster than allowed voiced his objection:

American Guy: Hey man, You are going way too fast!!!
Taxi Driver: Don't Worry! Egyptian Driver. Very Good Driver.

Soon they went into a school area but the taxi didn't slow down instead it started maneuvering around the children

American Guy: Now What The Hell You think you are doing !!!! Are you Trying to get somebody killed!!!1
Taxi Driver: Don't Worry. Egyptian Driver, Very Good Driver.

Out of the school area they were heading straight breaking a redlight!

American Guy (Totally Amazed, Scared anc Confused): YOU JUST BROKE THE RED LIGHT!!!!!
Taxi Driver (With a knowing confident smile): Don't Worry, Egyptian Driver, Very Good Driver!!.

They kept on moving, aprroaching a green light when the Egyptian Driver hit the brakes as har as he can.

American Guy (Absolutly Shoked): Now What?!!! That's a Green Light. Why the hell did you stop!!!!
Taxi Driver (With a Grin): Maybe another Egyptian coming by!!!:))))

Here's to the well oiled traffic machine!!!!!

Mohamed Moshrif said...

I'll join you walking under rain as soon as I arrive and as soon it begins raining, I like walking under rain so much ;)

Carol said...

hey:) bad thing to hear u didn't get to walk in the rain, i know u love that... Remember back in high school when u came home drippin' with water and u told mum u stood in the rain and didn't want to go home?;)i remember she freaked out that day and kept saying u'll get a pneumonia!
ahhh we had fun together zaman, right?;)
anyway i'm very glad to read ur posts. Keep posting these stuff and don't forget the photos u told me about,ok?
moah;) :P

Anonymous said...

funny to read your report about the different traffic :D you mad egypt driver *lol*.

Concerning the rain you should come over here, everytime it rains your can go with our dog for a walk.