Monday, October 24, 2005

The week in review

I've been getting lots of spam comments on the blog here from ad bots. And while the bots were courteous enough to tell me that my blog is great and that they will definitely bookmark me, I still prefer human commentators.

So unfortunately I will have to turn on word verification for comments on the blog. This will cause blogspot to ask you to write some word you see generated in an image just to make sure you're human. I have been trying to do without this for some time but it went up to 8 to 10 spam comments a day on various posts from spam bots and this seems like the only way to go. I'm sorry for any inconvenience and I hope it doesn't deter anyone from commenting whenever they feel like it:)

With that announcement done we could go on with the news. Last week has been eventful to say the least. One of the main highlights was a team lunch arranged by my lead. It turns out it's kinda MS tradition for the team to all go on a lunch or something similar (yes, paid by MS ;)) whenever a new member joins, or sometimes when there is an event to celebrate, like someone on the team having a baby or getting married. So this one was called for not only because of me joining the team but it also coincided with one of our team member having a baby.

We all went to a restaurant called Thai Ginger and it was maybe my first time to meet all of the team. It turned out we are a dozen or so (The Query Execution team) and everyone was just so cool. It also seems that there are many car enthusiasts in the team. One guy drives a corvette and I think the dev lead drives an Rx-8, I am definitely on the right team here :).

Other memorable events were us (Helal and I) getting our new and kinda permenant rental apartment. We should be moving there first week of november (we are currently in temp housing provided by Microsoft), and while I'm not particularily excited about the moving hassles, the apartment is just super cool. We were so very lucky to find a vacant apartment exactly to our spec, 2 bedroom 2 baths, 1100 square feet, perfect floorplan, but the best thing about it by far is the lake view. Out patio/deck would have direct view over lake Sammamish. The complex also has docks where you can park your boat/jet ski and is an excellent place to hang out a bit.

Of course this now means we should start looking for furniture/appliances for the apartment. We will try to pass by the nearest IKEA. Feel free to remind us of any things we might need with a comment down here :)

One big highlight of the week is having being able to secure tickets for Bon Jovi's have a nice day tour when it comes to Seattle next march. We got the presale password through Microsoft and got a couple of excellent seats. 1 day later and I found the tickets going on auction with bids starting at $110, I got ours for around $50 a piece :D

I'm gonna go and try to start being productive now :)
Ciao Ciao

9 comments:

La Muchacha Maligna said...

Wow, a Bon Jovi concert..that's so cool, have fun there ;)

You didn't add a pic of the apartment view you kept talking about!

Christian said...

Yeah, that's because I haven't moved in yet, I just applied and paid a deposit. Should move in somewhere between 5th and 10th of November, so you'll have to wait till then for the pics ;)

Christian said...

Actually I can provide the URL for the complex right here.

And this should be the exact floorplan of our apartment.

Anonymous said...

v0od0o... as for ikea, just make sure you have a set of powertools to assemble the stuff and honestly, getting someone else to assemble it is much better. and maybe a roofrack for your Z4 to carry stuff from ikea? :p

The Duke of Darkness said...

The Supreme Irony of Life - Part II
Living in Seattle, The Home of Kurt Cobain and the alternative Rock movement, yet securing Tickets for all that Seattle once stood against. A hair metal band!!:)

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Bon Jovi, I actually owe my conversion to the Guitar music to them.

I just found it Ironic.

Kurt is restless in the muddy banks of the Wishka!!!:)

Christian said...

lol, duke you seem to have an eye for irony :D
Actually it's my first time to know that Seattle is home to kurt cobain, I knew about hendrix but not cobain.

Andy! thanks a lot for the advice man, I actually never knew that you get your furniture disassembled from IKEA, will definitely ask them to assemble the stuff. I do have some tools but I don't think I would be in the mood for that given all the moving hassle.

Nag said...

the thing is, that word verification thing always writes in a weird way.. sometimes i actually get a letter wrong....

IKEA assembly should be a piece of cake, and its actually cool :) its funny what u find a whole bed for instance packed in a box 1m*1m with 10cm thickness :) It's the ultimate practical way...

they have nice lights too and those puffy things u sit on.. i just luv them! u know them? not the arabian style cushions but those leather-like things u somtimes find on beaches that can be molded :D (anyone has any idea what am talking about?)

Anyway, it sounds so cool so enjoy :D

And enjoy the BJ concert :@

Christian said...

hehe sorry about the word verification, it has to do it like this or otherwise it would be a piece of cake for a simple ocr module to break it. Now that you say you get them wrong I'm wondering if you were a robot and I was being fooled all this time :p

About IKEA, you sound like you've done this before, have you? :) I will pay them a visit soon and see what I can find. You and Adam's mom are encouraging me to assemble it myself so I guess that's what I am gonna do.

And I have no idea about the puffy things you mention :s

Nag said...

i've never done it akeed but i've seen it done (in Dubai, Kuwait, etc.)

I think its not like you have an option. You _have_ to assemble them yourself... i think aslan they would only provide an assembler (CS lingo :)) if they knew they have Arab clientele.. i mean with all due respect, we are the only nation against the DIY method :D

the puffy things i will try to find something similar